Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Finals

Hey Everyone!

I'm sorry that I haven't updated the blog for a while. I've been busy trying to finish my to do list before my cousin, Melissa, comes this weekend. It seems, I've been busy in every way.

The rainy season is in full swing, frustrating life and at the same time causing new life to grow. I find it fascinating every time I walk by a crop of corn; it grows like a foot over night. I also find it annoying, every night when I turn on my reading light, I'm constantly swatting at the baby insects that are so small they fit through the mesh of my mosquito net. Hahaha...I'm tired of them flying up my nose or in my eyes, but I refuse to give up reading at night.

Because the rainy season is in full swing, that, as I recently found out, means that I get to walk to Dorcas. It's easier for me to walk through the mud than to dig the car out when it gets stuck. But my walking has not been in vain; I've learned a valuable lesson along the way...if you walk in the grass between the 2 ruts, you don't get so muddy, AND you are less likely to slip and fall on your butt. Words of wisdom.

Pajero stuck in some ladies sweet potato patch.
.
Anyway, this last week we also inaugurated our earthen oven. We made flat bread and pizza in it. The pizza was a little doughy in the middle so we had to put it in the gas cooker for a few minutes to finish it. But the flavor was awesome! We'll get it right next time.

Italian style flat bread

Pepperoni Pizza...MMmmmm

My class has also been busy with their final exams. The term is not over, but because I'm going home, I had to administer my exams early. The girls took their theory exams last week, and are in the middle of their practicals this week. So far, they have done very well; I'm excited to see the progress that they've made.

Making Banana Bread

Making Chocolate Chip Cookies

I look forward to being home soon, but I will miss the girls and the excitement for learning that they have. Talk to you again soon.

Love,
Joyce
La Gringa

1 comment:

  1. WOW so cool Joyce.. Its awesome to see how you have stepped out of your comfort zone but still continue to flourish no matter where you are on the planet. I love you so much and have missed you but I know you have grown so much over the past year and am so glad you went to Uganda. Love our disconnected online talks and quick hellos. Can't wait to give you hugs in person!

    ReplyDelete