Thursday, September 9, 2010

Being Thankful



Hey Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well, and you're enjoying the back-to-school season.

Stars II, I miss you!!!! I'll see you soon!

I realized this week that my time here is getting very short. I crossed a couple of milestones this week. 1) I finished one bottle of Doxycycline; this might not seem significant, but when I went to pick up my prescription before I left the US the bottles read 1 of 2...quantity 210. I wanted to cry. So, now I have less than 105 pills left. HORRRRAAAAAAAAAY!

2) I realized (literally a light bulb moment) that I have a little more than 2 months left. My mom was right when she said that I would get busier the longer I was here. Mom, you were right. I'm now doing technical writing for Bringing Hope, teaching at Dorcas and teaching at the craft shop. I'm so busy that I forget to take pictures.

I was explaining my milestones to my friend last night, then I mentioned that I needed to write a blog but didn't know what to write about. He asked me what I had learned during my time here?...My first response was "What not to do." But then I had realization 3) Be thankful for the things that God has given you and the things He hasn't.

Being here has shown me that God knows me, better than I know myself. When I was in high school all I wanted was to get married, have kids and become a missionary. But, God in His infinite wisdom didn't give me what I thought I wanted. Now, 11 years later, I'm thankful that God didn't give me what I asked for. I love missions and will continue to be a part of it, but I realized that the life I wanted wasn't the best life for me. God knew that 11 years ago.

I'm grateful for the life God has given me; He has given me the opportunity to go places and do things that I would have never done if He had give me what I asked for so many years ago. My life is not what I thought it would be; it's much bigger...fuller than I envisioned.

So, this week thank God for the things He's given you and the things He hasn't. He knows you better than you know yourself.

Love,
Joyce
La Gringa


3 comments:

  1. You are so awesome and what you said is soooo true. I am certainly an example of that as well. I am glad that God hasn't given me everything I want yet but also realize that sometimes he gives us what we want even though later we wished he hadn't. Because then we have to deal with the consequences of what we now have. But it teaches us and makes us grow and learn from our mistakes. Love you so much. Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am thankful many times over for the unanswered cries of my heart. What kind of crafts do you do over there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The craft shop/tailoring shop makes shirts, skirts, uniforms and some woven baskets. I'm working with my friend Katie and girls to expand their product line so they can sell to tourists. So far we expanded to include bags (fabric and woven) and woven bracelets. Right now I'm in the process of teaching them how to make pillow covers.

    We want them to produce things that are easy to pack, look like Africa, and are high quality. It's a long process, but they're learning. And people are buying them.

    ReplyDelete