Friday, September 24, 2010

The Joy of Dicing and Slicing

Hey Everyone!

I hope you're having an amazing week. I can't believe how fast the time is flying by...it's almost October. Then it will be November...Hooray!!!!!!! Yeah, I'm just a little excited about going home and seeing my family, my dog and everyone else. Only 58 days!

Wow, that makes me seem like I'm not having a good time. I really am; I just miss all of you.

Last week, I started catering classes (cooking is catering here). The girls are doing very well...turns out, I'm a better cooking instructor than a tailoring instructor. I think the fact that I like to cook has something to do with it. Hahaha!

We have been covering how to read a recipe, kitchen tools, knife skills and sanitation - a very difficult thing to get a cross; clean is a relative term here. I also decided to teach the girls how to double and half a recipe, little did I know that I would have to teach them how to multiply and divide fractions. I felt like I was back in elementary school.

Supplies are limited so there are 9 girls to a cutting board...we've also learned about sharing and patience this week. :0)

Dicing onions...only a few tears were shed.

My TA and translator, Kerungi Moreen, doing what I told the girls not to do...cut on an open table.

Some of the girls showing off their newly acquired skills.

Next week, we will start baking in the gas cooker (gas oven). The girls are so excited to learn how to make cakes and breads. I asked them if they liked cookies and pies; most of them have never had a cookie, and none of them knew what a pie was. So I'm excited to show them what a pies and cookies are.

Thanks for all your prayers and support. Talk to you again soon.

Love,
Joyce
La Gringa

2 comments:

  1. So glad you found something that is exciting to everyone. Told you you're a great teacher!! I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my friend, im so glad that God is using you to bring joy to this people. i cant believe that you are almost coming back, is been fast. We are excited to see you again and to hear all the adventuras de la gringa... ;-)
    we love you and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete